HCF... 😃

HCF, or highest common factor, was my goal a couple of weeks ago. I took, in my opinion, a bit long to learn it, but it's easy if you know what a factor is, which I do, but I was a long time ago... Excuses excuses, anyway, I would like to show you how to do it. 😀 Look below for instructions...


First step: Find two or more numbers you want to find a common factor of. I'm going to use 24 & 36.
Take those numbers and find all the factors of those numbers.

24: 1,2,3,4,6,8,12 & 24.
Those are all the factors of 24. Now let's try 36.
36: 1,2,3,4,6,12 & 36.

What are the factors that are the same (btw these are also called common factors)? For 24 and 36 they are: 1,2,3,4,6 & 12. 12 is the highest out of the previous numbers, so the highest common factor of 24 & 36 is... 12.

This goal was a goal that challenged me to know my times tables and division facts better, it also lead me to my current goal, divisibility rules. The two goals are related in many ways, they share the fact that you have to know your times tables well to be able to easily move off them with an actual good knowledge of them.

That's my experience with HCF anyway. Please comment if this was helpful!!

Comments

  1. you very have clearly set out the logic with your thoughts and it works beautifully.We used your description to work out the common factors for 72 and 48 and 144 and it all made sense-thankyou.You have spent time thinking about your task and pictured it mentally-this is initially quite hard for most people but you have persisted and taken your time so that youe care and patience have paid off- We wonder if Beatrice Tinsley could do this at your age-hint look this rather famous new zealander up. Rather like your layout on this blog - you will have to teach us!
    grannygrandadgreenfield

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work Alison, glad that you've mastered it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alison, it was great to see your working out highest common factors. My thoughts are that although you think that this skill took you some time to master - its clear that you now understand the concept and can apply that to other situations. To me that is real learning, well done.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Coding

The Beach & Me

Are You Getting Hungry? My Quick Write Story: LOLLIES!